Recent Comments

    Tombstone of a Robidoux


    Tombstone of a Robidoux.

    Slab Marking Place Where Body of Franklin Robidoux Once Rested Unearthed by Graders.

    Workmen employed in grading North Second street, in the vicinity of Cherry street, yesterday afternoon unearthed a plain marble slab which had marked for years the last resting place of J. H. Franklin Robidoux, the youngest son of Joseph Robidoux, the founder of St. Joseph. The headstone had crumbled only slightly and was in a good state of preservation. It was taken out about three feet below the surface of the earth.

    The summit of the hill that slopes to the east and south in what is now Second street was formerly a cemetery. It was among the first platted after St. Joseph was laid out. Here nearly all of the members of the Robidoux family were buried. As the settlement known as the “Blacksnake Hills’ grew in size and population, it was found necessary to abandon the old cemetery.

    The bodies buried there were removed to other graveyards and a majority of the headstones were moved with the caskets. The old cemetery site was platted into town lots and sold for residence property. Franklin Robidoux, after whom Franklin street was named, died in 1848. He passed away nine years prior to the death of his mother, Mrs. Robidoux having died on January 17, 1857. When the cemetery was abandoned descendants caused the bodies of members of the Robidoux family to be removed to other cemeteries.

    It is presumed that in moving Franklin … [illegible] stone was … more grave … [paragraph illegible].

    Source: St. Joseph News-Press, 11 Jul 1905, p. 6
    Submitted by: Monica Schirmer Eshelman

     

    Leave a Reply