H H Kesler, History Consultant, 8419 W Terrace, Shawnee Mission, KS 66204, 913.722.0073
Mr. Kesler has expressed a willingness to reprint this book with a minimum run of 100 copies.
Inter-Collegiate Press, History Book Division, 6015 Travis Lane, PO Box 10, Shawnee Mission, KS 66201, 913.432.8100
John and Mildred McNeese
John and Mildred McNeese includes photo of John and Mildred McNeese and includes photo of Ronald Walker
Mildred McNeese is the daughter fo Frank W and Dolly Jean Hinote Hamilton. her fanther was born at Little Rock, Arkansas and came to Gentry as a small boy. He was reared by the Henry Dills family of Gentry. her mother was born at DesMoines and came in a covered wagon, when she was just a baby, and settled on a farm near McFall.
Frank Hamilton homsteaded near Medicine Bow, Wyoming. They had two children, J.C., who died at eigth months, and Mildred, who was born near McFall. Their home was a log cabin, which Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton built. They also built a schoolhouse, where Mildred attended and was the only pupil for six years. They hauled logs 30 miles to build the houses. They moved to Missouri, near McFall, in 1941 on a farm.
Mildred started beauty school in laramie, Wyoming and finished in Maryville in 1942. She has been a beautician for
several years and has owned her own shop for 17 years in Stanberry.
Mildred Hamilton married John McNeese in 1966. He is a retired Navy amn and is now engaged in farming. He is the son of Earl and Reba McNeese, who have lived most of their lives around Denver and Albany. John was born near Denver and has three brothers and one sister.
Mildres has one son, Ronald Walker, by a previous marriage. He was born in 1954, when Stanberry was 75 years old. rondal is a music teacher and is employed in the St. Joseph school system.
Submitted by Mildred McNeese
Emory and Katheryn Dollars
Emory and Katheryn Dollars (includes photo)
Emroy D. Dollars, son of Harve and Therena Dollars, and Katheryn Lawrence, daughter of Claud and Eva Lawrence, were married June 2, 1946. Both graduated from the Stanberry High School in the class of 1941.
Emory worked as a distributor for the St. Joseph Coca-Cola Bottleing Comapny until 1961 when he and his brother-in-law, William Groomer, opened a men's clothing store on the north side of the square and later bought the J.T. Norment building and moved there in 1969. It is the Dollars Clothing Store. Emory, better known as "Airtite," manages the store, and Katheryn is associated with the store.
Katheryn is a member of the Hunter Chapter of the Eastern Star, Beta Sigma Phi and the A.G.T. Club of Stnaberry. Both are members of the Mehodist Church. Emory served with the United States Marine Corp from August 1942 until Octover 1945. Emory and Katheryn are members of teh Stanberry Golf Club ans spend much of their free time on the golf course in the summer time.
They are the parents of one son, Rod L. Dollars, born July 2, 1951. He lives near Stanberry on a farm and does farming and auctioneering. He married Diana Allenbrand of Maryville. They have two children, a daughter, Penny, and a son, Chris.
Emory has one brother, Hubert of Madison, Wisconsin, and six sisters: Lela Groomer, Velma Wolverton, Mabel Reece, Goldie Redmond, all of Stanberry; Elsie Ashford, Marshall, Missouri and Jannie Kossick, Huntington Park, California. Katheryn has one brother, Thomas Lawrence, Stanberry, and trhee sisters: Betty Shoemaker, Plattsburg; Lucille Guthrie, Maryville; and Ethel Sylvester, Santa Barbara, California.
Submitted by Katheryn Dollars
Whitford and Mary Dack
Whitford Elwood and Mary Kathleen Dack
Whitford E., son of Frank Ira and Myrtle Goodson Dack, was born five miles east of Ravenwood in Gentry County, May 31, 1911. His Grandparents were James W. and Caroline S. Moore Dack of Ravenwood and Elwood and Alice Cheatum Goodson of Ravenwood in Nodaway County.
Mary Kathleen Dack, daughter of Joseph Elmer and Clyda M. Hunter Parman, was born June 13, 1914, three miles southeast of Denver, in Worth County. Her grandparents were JOseph V. and Nancy E Fitzhugh Parman of Albany and William A and Mary A. Adams Hunter of Martinsbille, in Harrison County.
James and Minnie Caraway
JAMES AND MINNIE CARAWAY
Jim, son of Joseph and Mariah Slater Caraway, and Minnie Thompson, duaghter of William and Mary Keller Thompson, were married in 1904. They are the parnst of six children.
Omer and Bertha Barnes Caraway of Houston, Texas have one son. Eugene and his wife, Mary, have one sone and three daughters.
Nova and Ruby French Caraway of Dupo, Illinois have two sons. Bill and his wife, Doris Ann, have two sons and a daughter. Bob and his wife, Jean, have three daughters and a son.
Paul and Ferne Mann Caraway of Stewartsville have one daughter. Delores FAlk has three sons and three daughters.
Harley and Norma Jean Alexander Caraway of St. Joseph have a sone and a daughter. jerry lives at Smithville. Betty and her husband, Elmer Moutray, of St. Joseph, have two daughters.
Lois Caraway Green is the wife of Charles Green, Ravenwood.
James and Lillian Platt Caraway of Monrovia, California have one daughter. Judie and her husband, Anthony Asenico, of Covina, California, have two sons.
Jim and Minnie farmed for many yeats in Harrison and Daviess Counties. They moved to Stnaberry, and Jim was a stationary engineer for teh Wabash Railroad from 1922 to 1932 when the yards closed. He fed cattle for C.L. Mtrick and Chris Farnan about nine years until hes health went bad. Jim was custodian of the Methodist Church for four years.
Submitted by Norma Jean Caraway
Walter and Opal Boner
Mr. and Mrs. Walter J. Boner
Walter James Boner and Nora Opal Redmond Boner lived mear STanberry where they farmed u til moving to town three years prior to his death on March 16, 1972. Wlater was born September 6, 1894, to John A and Anna Gerturde McClelland Boner. He had five brothers and six sisters. He attended the Fairview school northwest of Stanberry.
Opal the daughter of Albert and Nora Irene Coffey Redmond, was born on August 8, 1998, at Albany. She had six brothers and two sisters. She attended the Alanthus school.
They had one daughter, Verena Boner Groom, born August 2, 1918.
Opal was the second resident to enter Stanberry's new nursing home, Pine View Manor, on September 20, 1978, where she now resides.
They were members of the First Baptist Church of Stanberry, and Walter was a deacon in the church.
During the summer of 1924, Walter and Opal helped with the road contrstuction of the new highway between Stanberry and Albany. The crew was grading and putting in the fills, readying it for the first paving. They had a 10-ton Caterpillar, but most of the work was done with horses which they kept in huuge circus-type tents. They all lived in the wooden, trailer-type houses on iron wagon whells, and they camped along the road. Opal cooked for them.
Submitted by Mrs. Marion Groom