Date of Death: 25 Dec 1897
Subject: David P. Abbott
Source: St. Joseph Gazette, 26 Dec 1897, p. 5

David P. Abbott, of Savannah, fell dead at the corner of Fourth and Jule streets, about 9:30 o'clock last night, and his daughter, Maud, was the only witness to his sudden demise.

The screams of the young lady soon brought assistance and a carriage bore the remains to the home of L. O. Stiles, Twelfth and Felix, from which place the deceased had departed a few minutes before in apparently splendid health and spirits.

Dr. T. H. Doyle was called and arrived by the time the body did, but life was extinct, and the physician was called on to wait on the daughter, who was almost hysterical over the sudden death of her father. Mr. Abbott was one of the wealthiest and best-known citizens of Savannah and came down yesterday with his daughter, Maud, to attend the matinee. They stopped with Mr. Stiles' family, who are old friends, and after supper Mr. Abbott looked at his watch and thought it was 8 o'clock. A few minutes later he discovered that it was 9 instead of 8, and as he wanted to return home on the 9:30 Chicago Great Western train, he hurried his daughter into her wraps and the two started for the depot on North Third street.

When they reached the corner of Fourth and Jule streets after walking rapidly, Mr. Abbott suddenly reeled and fell to the ground. He tried to rise, but his daughter told him to be still. He said, "I am gone," and his spirit quietly left the clay tenement and winged its way to its Creator.

The young lady, frantic with grief, screamed for help, which quickly arrived, as above stated.

Miss Maud was so overcome that Dr. Doyle was compelled to remain with her till after midnight, when she became more quiet.

Mr. Abbott is one of the oldest citizens of Savannah, is well known in St. Joseph, and was 57 years old. He leaves a wife and two daughters, Mrs. William Limrick of Savannah, and Miss Maud who was with him at the time of his death.

He had retired from active business, but was interested in several banks in Kansas and Missouri, besides having another of other business interests. No one stood higher in the estimation of those who knew him than did Mr. Abbott, and his sudden taking off will be a sad blow not only to his family, but to many friends. Mr. Abbott has had several attacks before, and Dr. Doyle said had also been suffering for some time from diabetes.

Coroner Spier Richmond was notified and responded promptly, but after viewing the body and hearing the facts decided an inquest was not necessary. Undertaker Heaton took charge of the remains, and the funeral will be announced later.