Henry B. Boyd section 4, post office Grant City, is a native of Hartford County, Maryland, and was born November 5, 1824. At the age of ten years he removed with the family to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, where he resided, engaged in agricultural pursuits, till sixteen years of age, when he began learning the trade of wagon and carriage making, at Burdenband. This he continued three years, after which time he returned to Columbia, Pennsylvania, where he was interested in working at his trade for a period of two years. From there he removed to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and in this city he resided till 1848, when he emigrated to Greene County, Illinois. He followed his chosen calling in Carrolton, till 1855, and then removed to Macoupin County, Illinois. Four years later he became engaged in farming in Morgan County, Illinois, and in two years thereafter he came to this county, and started farming on his present place. He has 240 acres of land that will compare favorably with any in the county, 160 of which are under cultivation. Mr. Boyd was united in marriage, August 6, 1846, to Miss Mary Shank, a native of Pennsylvania. They have had five children, three of whom are now living: John H., Thomas H. B. and Mary J. Mr. B is a member of the Masonic order, and is also P. G. in the Odd Fellows Fraternity, and a member of the Encampment. He is the present school director of his district, which office he has held for several different terms, and he was one of the parties who were the means of having money returned in their district.
The History of Gentry and Worth Counties, Missouri, National Historical Co., St. Joseph, Missouri, pp. 724-5.