AKA Quisenberry Cemetery and Jameson Cemetery
Prairie Township, Section 12
Sedalia, Pettis County, Missouri
Located in the Sedalia Country Club golf course rough between the 10th, 11th, and 18th fairways. Surrounded by a white wood fence. Attended by course maintenance crews. Most stones broken or down. Cemetery has been closed to burials for over half a century. (GCW 2004)
Update by Justin Watkins: West on 16th Street to Walnut Hills Golf Course; Site is fenced and visible from street at second entrance; stones have been placed upright; cemetery looks well-kept by the course maintenance crews. The information about the stones being broken or down comes from George C. Willick. According to the Van Natta Family History, 229-230, at Boonslick Regional Library in Sedalia, the cemetery was in disrepair in October 1996 and May 1997, but had been restored by October 1997; transcribed by Carol, Amy, and Justin Watkins on 9 April 2010.
DAR recording: Mamie McCormick and Mrs. Ira A. Leiter, 11 December 1952; this cemetery is located in Prairie TWP, NW of NW Section12, TWP 45, R 22 on West 16th Road about 1 ¾ miles west of Pittsburg Corning Factory on the south side of the road, property owned by John Talbot, Walnut Hills, RR #3, Sedalia, MO. At an early day, a Christian Church was built at this site. As members moved about, the church was abandoned and now the cemetery has not received any care for years. Land owners have maintained a fence. It is possible that many of the earliest graves are unmarked. The earliest death date found on a stone was 1859. Charles Lewis donated the land for the Chruch and the Cemetery. While the neighborhood name for the cemetery has been Shobe, the majority of the names found are from the Quisenberry family. Jackson Quisenberry and his family from Clark Co., KY, was in the area before 1840. Mary A. Jamison, wife of Harrison Jamison, was a sister of Abel Shobe. They came from Warren Co., KY. Jackson Quisenberry’s sister, Rhoda, married Peter Courtney. Courtney names belong to that family.
Recorded by Mrs. J. R. Carter in the mid 1950s. Photographed and updated by Justin Watkins.
Tees to Tombstones: Sedalia has Graveyard in Golf Course
by Scott Charton for the Associated Press
SEDALIA, Mo. -- The tees aren't far from the tombstones at Sedalia Country Club, where the 18-hole golf course surrounds a small graveyard dating to before the Civil War.
"We don't know if any old golfers are there," said one frequent player, Bob Rinehart, 60. "But a few of us figure our golf games belong there."
Course regulars such as Rinehart say they scarcely notice the 60-foot-by-30-foot cemetery, which, although surrounded by a white picket fence, is still considered in the rough between the 10th, 11th and 18th fairways.
Players strolling through the cemetery gate after a wayward ball are stepping into Missouri history.
The cemetery is the final resting place for some of Pettis County's oldest family names. At least 23 people, 11 of them children, were buried there between 1859 and 1921, according to sketchy records and chunks of stone markers that course superintendent Dallas Baldwin has pieced together like jigsaw puzzles . . .
Source: The Associated Press, article by Scott Charton, 14 March 2002
Note: This article was previously set out in full, but has been voluntarily removed due to copyright restrictions. We have been unable to find an internet link to the full article.
- Next >>