AKA Bryant Cemetery and Ransdell Cemetery
Flat Creek Township, Section 24
Sedalia, Pettis County, Missouri
Northeast corner of Section 24, on the east side of M just north of Pleasant Hill Road. Clearly visible. East on Highway 50 to M, south 3.2 miles; cemetery is on east side of M.
The cemetery is about a quarter-acre square, on land donated by Mr. Abell, who is not buried there, nor any of his family so far as anyone knows. The cemetery is locally known as the Bryant Cemetery, from the number of fine stones placed there by a Sedalia madam named Polly. (GCW)
Additional information submitted by Justin Watkins:
An additional transcription appeared in the Prairie Gleaner 2, no. 3 (June 1971), 64.
Benjamin Ransdell married Sally Higgins in Mercer County, Kentucky on 20 January 1820; they came to Pettis County in the early 1830s and entered land, including this cemetery. Another pioneer family from Kentucky, George May, also entered land nearby. The early burials were those of these families and other families related through marriage: Mosby, McFatridge, Mackay, and Bryant. The name Abell was given to the cemetery plot because a Dr. Abell owned the surrounding farm land for a period of years. There were no burials from this family. The cemetery is kept in good condition, in later years much of this care has been by descendants of the William and Nancy (Cathey) Bryant family. This cemetery was copied by Mrs. D. M. Middleton and Mrs. Ira A. Leiter, 1 March 1956. (DAR)
This cemetery was canvassed 20 July 1960 by Mrs. Georgia Chancey, Mrs. Juanita Waggoner, Mrs. Maggie Furnell, Mrs. Edna Wilson, Mrs. Lucetta Landon, and Miss Janice Landon of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints of Sedalia, Missouri. (LDS)
Recorded 3 June 2004 by George C. Willick. Updated by Carol, Amy and Justin Watkins 1 September 2009. Photos and updated survey submitted by Justin Watkins.