Dr. P. G. Woods, president of the Bank of Versailles, has been a resident of Morgan County since the fall of 1855, and of Versailles since July, 1869. He was born in Franklin County, Va., in 1844, and is the son of Samuel H. and Sicely (Patterson) Woods, both natives of Virginia. In his younger days the father was a merchant, but later he followed farming, and this continued till his death, which occurred in Morgan County, Mo., in 1876, at the age of seventy-six years. The mother died in 1868, at the age of sixty-one years. They were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and active workers in the same. He was a man who took a great interest in public affairs and politics, although he was never an aspirant for office. To his marriage were born these children: Mary A., widow of W. A. Parkes, who now resides in Versailles, Mo., Dr. Samuel R., whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume; W. M., is an attorney at Denton, Tex.; Charles C., a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, who resides at Neosho, Mo.; Emma R., wife of Dr. P. T. James, at Holden, Mo.; Nannie, died at the age of seventeen years, and P. G. The last named spent his youth on the farm, three miles east of Versailles, Mo., and received his education at the private schools of his county and those of Saline County, of the same State. In 1865 he entered the St. Louis Medical College, graduating from that institution in 1867, after which he came to Versailles, and entered upon the practice of his profession. This he continued until 1881, and in 1882 he, with others, established the Bank of Versailles, and was chosen its president, which position he has held ever since. In 1872 he was elected by the Democratic party to the office of county treasurer, which office he held until 1882 -- five terms. In 1886 he was again elected to the same office, and holds that position at the present time, the only political orifice to which he has ever aspired. Dr. Woods owns a good farm of 520 acres three miles east of Versailles, and a good block of business houses in the city. He was married in 1868 to Miss Harriet Parkes, a native of Moniteau County, Mo., who bore him six children: Edna, attending school; Eva, also at school; Richard, at home; Nannie, at home; Herbert, at home, and Arno, at home. Dr. Woods is a member of the Christian Church, in which he takes an active part, as he does in all matters of public enterprise, and is one of the representative men of the county.
History of Cole, Moniteau, Morgan, Benton, Miller, Maries and Osage Counties, Missouri, Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1889.